Sunday, March 29, 2015

Mayo Visit

We drove to Mayo Clinic last Sunday just as Rochester got hit with 12" of snow.  That unwelcome arrival was the beginning of a long but helpful, emotionally tolling yet productive week.  When we left GR, we hoped to return by the next day so we could head out to an Eagan family wedding in NY.  But, we're becoming acquainted with the reality that our schedule and plans don't mean much right now.  At 5pm, only 15 hours before our flight to NY, my doctor let us know that she wanted us to stick around for a few more days to meet with my oncologist and run some more tests.  So, we cancelled our flight, extended our rental car and got another hotel room.  Although we were extremely sad to miss the wedding, by the end of the week we were so grateful that we had stayed.  We were incredibly impressed by my doctors and left feeling like we have a plan of action.

It's a very weird thing to know that I have a serious disease yet feel strong, healthy and have no symptoms at all.  But, the reality of cancer and difficulty of what treatment will look like is beginning to set in.  My oncologist at Mayo recommended doing chemo right away before I have surgery.  This news hit us as hard as the initial diagnosis and has opened up some new areas of grief.  I will lose my hair, most likely feel very tired and nauseous and be in treatment for 5 months... and in Michigan, the next 5 months are the reason that the harsh winters don't drive us away.

Despite the grief, we are very grateful for all of your prayers and support.  God has been very present and provided for us in so many ways already.  Here's a list of just a few:

- Ross and I decided to increase our life insurance out of the blue last fall.  We got a letter stating that the full life policy we purchased was approved and our premiums were locked in for life as of March 1...  I was diagnosed on March 2.  Thanks be to God!

- I prayed that we would be able to get the best care and feel very confident in our treatment decision.  We found out this week that the breast surgeon who will be doing my surgery is the chief surgeon at Mayo, has been doing breast surgeries for over 20 years, serves as the chair of the education board there and has received the "America's Top Doctors" Award for the past 7 straight years.  Thanks be to God!

- There is a new option for mastectomy surgery where they place an implant on the outside of the pectoral muscle (typically the muscle is gradually stretched to fit the implant behind the muscle).  This surgery leaves the implant looking more realistic and feels more comfortable long term.  I prayed that this would be an option for me despite there only being 2 surgeons at Mayo that perform this surgery.  The next day I found out that the plastic surgeon assigned to me is not only able to do this type of surgery, he was the one who invented it.  Thanks be to God!

Please pray that my body reacts well to the chemo and that the side effects are minimal.  Please continue to pray for God's strength and peace as I enter this first phase of kicking cancer's butt!






1 comment:

  1. I am thinking of you and praying for you daily, Cori. God is so good, and I know he's walking beside Ross and you right now. I wish I was still in MI to go through this with you!

    Ellen

    ReplyDelete